keskiviikko 9. tammikuuta 2013

ON THE WAY TO POON HILL

Photo: Oma Kapua 2012 Annapurna
Tomorrow we have one of our project workshops, led by Alternatives which I will participate.  I am always happy to see our participants and equally happy to participate the workshops.

Still.... I am waiting for Thursday morning to arrive. I will jump to local bus and head to Naya Pul, where trekking route Ghorepani - Ghandruk starts, the way to Poon Hill vantage point.

Description of Poon Hill trek doesn`t sound too depressing: "This trek, in the Annapurna foothills to the view point on Poonhill (3210m), offers all the best of trekking in Nepal. Enjoy trekking in the spectacular mountain scenery through charming villages inhabited by the Gurungs, Magars, dense rhododendron forests full of birds and deep sub-tropical valleys, all set below the Annapurnas with the picturesque peak of Machhapuchhre (Fishtail Peak) dominating the skyline. At the climax of this trek you will climb Poonhill at dawn to enjoy one of the most spectacular views of the mountains on earth. As the sun touches the snow-capped summits the Himalayan giants, Dhaulagiri (8167m) and Annapurna (8091m) along with a maze of other peaks, slowly begin to appear, like magic, before our eyes. It is a rewarding trek that can be enjoyed by every lover of nature and beautiful landscapes."

My Nepali friends are a bit horrified me going to do the trek by myself on the cold season. I still trust my Finnish gene`s to help me survive the windy Poon Hill: I think that is what makes it cold together with altitude. According to Mountain weather forecast it will be all the time above zero Celsius and I heard that in Finland in my home it has been -20 and something for a while.

Last year my soul was tattooed by mountains and that tattoo wakes alive every now and then demanding something. In order to make that longing woken by the tattoo to sleep again, I just have to go to the mountais or even see them closer. So I am going and hoping that on Saturday morning the sky will be clear!

But like Ralf Waldo Emerson said: "Life is a journey, not a destination", so I will continue enjoying my journey on this very moment... still a bit longing to the mountains! ;-)


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti